Thursday, April 3, 2008

My Name Is Earl

There are some really good comedies on television: The Office, Scrubs, & 30 Rock are all great. The Big Bang Theory is pretty good too. But the one show that consistently delivers is My Name Is Earl. I've been watching this show since it first came on a few years ago, but this has been its best season. The writing is sharp and the scenes move quickly with each moment counting. What I like most though is the creativity. Tonight's episode has Earl in a coma after being hit by a car. While in the coma he "dreams" of his life being a 60's family sitcom. Pretty simple, but the way they weave his current predicament with the sitcom, and how his brother and friends work to try and save him was perfect.

I've always enjoyed films and shows that start with an idea or a point, works through the story line, and then ends up referring back to where it started; and it's at that point you realize how the story line served to support that idea or point. Grey's Anatomy is good at using this form of storytelling. So is My Name is Earl. If you have not seen it, check it out (Thursdays, 8:00 pm). 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Labels