Monday, August 3, 2009

Fixing A Bad External Hard Drive


I wrote about this before, but had to go through the experience again and thought I would share my results once again. I have a 500 gb Western Digital My Book external hard drive. For the past two days I have tried probably a dozen times without success to mount the drive on my computer. I used different cables, both firewire and usb . . I tried it on my Mac Pro desktop computer and on my MacBook Pro laptop . . I tried different power cords. Nothing. So I went back to my secret formula: put the hard drive in the freezer for a couple days, take it out and let it assume room temperature, plug it in to the computer, and there it was . . mounted. This is not a guarantee, but it sure is worth giving a try if you have a hard drive that appears to be dead.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Labels

Blog Archive